In this post, we break down the most important things you need to know about collecting mechanical royalties and how to copyright your music.

What are mechanical royalties?

In the music industry, mechanical royalties are paid to songwriters and publishers for their musical works being reproduced in physical formats such as CDs, vinyl records and cassette tapes. These royalties are then collected by organizations like ASCAP or BMI who then distribute them to their members.

Mechanical royalties can be confusing because they’re often confused with performance rights (or “publishing”) royalties. While both types of royalty payments go to the copyright holder—the person who wrote and/or produced a song—performance rights payments go directly from venues or streaming services (like Spotify) to performers while mechanicals go straight from manufacturers to publishers.

How can I collect mechanical royalties?

You can collect mechanical royalties for your music by contacting the publisher. In order to do so, you will need to know who owns the rights to your song.

Do some research on the ownership of your song and find out who owns it. If you don’t have any information on this topic, there are things that you can do to find out more about who owns what and where they live.

After researching these things, contact that person or company and tell them how much money is owed in royalties due to them (or let them know what percentage of sales should be paid). This information might not be readily available at first but if enough people request it then companies will start providing these numbers publicly so that others can follow suit in their own negotiations with publishers/labels etc…

What is Copyright Registration?

Copyright registration is not necessary, but it does provide some benefits. In general, you don’t need to register your copyright with the US Copyright Office unless you want to file a lawsuit for infringement. However, if you’re planning on selling your music or publishing it in any way (like on YouTube), then you should consider registering your work with the U.S. Copyright Office so that there’s no question about who owns the rights to it.

  • The primary benefit of copyright registration is that it makes proving ownership easier in court if someone infringes upon your work—you’ll have documented evidence that gives you a leg up in litigation against an alleged infringer. If this sounds like something worth doing, head over to Copyright dot gov and click “Register a Copyright.” You’ll need two things: A completed application form (Form CO) and one or more copies of each item being registered (e-mail attachments are acceptable). Once submitted, expect it take 8-10 weeks before they get back with their decision as they process all requests manually!

What is a compulsory license?

First, you need to know what a compulsory license is. A compulsory license is an agreement between the creator of musical work (the writer) and another party (the publisher), who then makes it available for other people to use without having to request permission from either one of them. It’s often used when a song is used in television, film or other similar media.

The rights covered by a compulsory license include mechanical reproduction rights—i.e., CDs or records—and digital downloads; however these rights can also be broken down into subcategories such as ringtones and streaming services like Spotify or Apple Music if you’re looking for something specific.

So how do I request one? If you think this might apply to your situation and plan on using music written by someone else then you’ll need their consent before moving forward with anything related; otherwise it could lead into legal trouble down the road! You should ask yourself: “Would my project benefit from using this particular track?” If so then contact whoever owns those rights before proceeding further with anything else involving said material.”

What is a Notice of Intention (NOI)?

What is a Notice of Intention (NOI)?

A Notice of Intention (NOI) is a form that must be filed with the PRO within 30 days of the first public performance. It’s important to file this document for every song in your catalog.

Mechanical royalties are an important source of income for songwriters and artists. They’re collected by performing rights organizations (PRO) like ASCAP, BMI and SESAC.

Mechanical royalties are an important source of income for songwriters and artists. They’re collected by performing rights organizations (PROs) like ASCAP, BMI and SESAC. These PROs collect money on behalf of the copyright owners in their repertoire, which includes songs you’ve written or recorded yourself.


The bottom line is that mechanical royalties are an important source of income for songwriters and artists. They’re collected by performing rights organizations (PRO) like ASCAP, BMI and SESAC. These organizations collect royalties for songs played on radio, television and other media outlets as well as in public venues like restaurants and bars. In order to collect your mechanical royalties from these PROs, you’ll need to register your music with them first; this article explains how!